We have yet another recall involving cribs to tell you about. Dorel Asia is recalling as many as 635,000 cribs because they pose strangulation and suffocation hazards. At least one infant has died and 10 injuries have been reported.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with Dorel Asia SRL, of Barbados announced the voluntary. It centers around drop side and non-drop side cribs.
The CPSC says the drop side hardware can fail causing the drop side to detach from the crib. When the drop side detaches it creates a space in which an infant or toddler can become entrapped and suffocate or strangle. In addition, the recalled cribs can pose a serious entrapment and strangulation hazard when a slat is damaged. This can occur while the crib is in use, in storage, being put together, taken apart or reassembled; or during shipping and handling.
The cribs were sold at K-Mart, Sears and Wal-Mart stores nationwide from January 2005 through December 2009 for between $120 and $700 and were manufactured in China and Vietnam.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled cribs, find an alternative safe sleeping environment for your child, and contact Dorel Asia to receive a free replacement kit. Consumers should log on to www.dorel-asia.com to order the free replacement kit to prevent child entrapment in these cribs. The repair kits will be provided to owners within the next several weeks.
The following Dorel Asia cribs are involved in the recall:
- Model Number (Front Rail): Description
- WM1633 (Drop side): 3-1 Sleigh Crib – Cherry
- WM1633-0 (Drop side): 3-1 Sleigh Crib – Cherry (no castors)
- WM1676BC (Fixed): 4-1 Bethany James Crib – Walnut
- WM1676BCR-DC (Fixed): 2-1 Crib -Walnut
- WM2163 (Fixed): 4-1 Crib – Manhattan Walnut
- WM2163DC (Fixed): 4-1 Crib – Manhattan Walnut
- WM1633-0-DC (Fixed): 3-1 Sleigh Crib (no castors)
- GP004B3EGR (Drop side): 3-1 Convertible – Espresso
- GP004B3WGR (Drop side): 3-1 Convertible – White
- GP006BCEGR (Drop side): Single – Espresso
- GP006BCWGR (Drop side: Single – White
- DA1615B3 (Drop side): 3-1 Convertible Crib – Natural
- DAKM5132 (Drop side): 3-1 Convertible Crib – White
- DASE5005 (Drop side): Cottage Hill Single Crib – White
- DASE5009 (Drop side): Vintage Estate 3-1 Sleigh Crib – Cherry
- DA0504KMC-1N (Drop side): 3-1 Heritage Crib – Natural
- DA0504KMC-1W (Drop side): 3-1 Heritage Crib – White
- DA1614B3 (Drop side): 3-1 Lexington Crib – Cherry
- DAKM5152 (Drop side): Single Jenny Lind Crib – Walnut
- DASE5015 (Drop side): 3-1 Convertible – Toffee
Attorney Jeffrey Killino’s focus is on keeping kids safe and knows child injuries are very serious and can leave a parent feeling helpless. If you believe your child was injured as a result of a faulty or recalled consumer product please contact crib recall and child injury attorney Jeffrey Killino at 877-875-2927 today.